Search This Blog

Friday, May 19, 2017

Countdown bonus: Indelicates, "Sweet Sixteen" (2008)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcM9QsZNRxM

E (my 8-year-old): "Can you play the Indelicates video with the old people? What's it called?"
Me: "'Sixteen'. Sure."
E: "It's about people who want to be 16 and act like they're 16 even though they're much older".
Me: "That's right!"
E: "Why do they want to be 16?"
Me: "Well, when you get old, your body - well, if you're unlucky you die. But even if you're lucky, it stops working the same way. You remember having the energy and ability to do things that you can't anymore."
E: "But why 16? If I was old I would wish I were 10."
Me: "That's a possible thing too".
E: "Especially if I qualify for Lincoln Academy by then."
Me: "That could be it, though. Maybe the narrator didn't."


**********

The Indelicates will show up in the countdown proper, eventually; I just felt like sharing this story. They are a clever, melodic Britpop band, strongly influenced by both musical theater and punk rock. Since last autumn, they have been E's favorite band.

Some of their songs, including "Sixteen", we sing together. A few of them, I don't necessarily want him focused on the lyrics yet. My favorites of their albums are Songs for Swinging Lovers and Diseases of England.

No comments:

Post a Comment