Search This Blog

Saturday, April 22, 2017

Shilling in the name

1. Now that it may no longer matter, it suddenly strikes me as weird that I don't think anyone, including me, ever renamed the longtime Fox News host as Bile O'Really.

2. Although since they didn't, I'll co-endorse Sean Thomason's quip: "Probably the most humiliating thing about being Bill O'Reilly is that most people think his name is 'Teenage Wasteland'".

3. Both Stephen Colbert and my friend Jeffrey-with-2-fs Norman independently joked that O'Reilly, the "nonfiction" author of "Killing Lincoln", "Killing Jesus", and "Killing Reagan", will have to make his next book "Killing My Career". Which is fine, as long as we understand that all of O'Reilly's "Killing Books" are about heroic figures torn down by pure evil. This pattern will continue.

2 comments:

  1. I actually thought of that "Killing My Career" joke myself before I heard Colbert say it. It was a bit disappointing to hear him say it because it seemed like low-hanging fruit that anyone could come up with and that his creativity isn't utilized as much as it used to be.

    Curious to see what happens to the even-worse Hannity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What amuses me about "Killing My Career" is simply the amount of furious self-pity that O'Reilly would genuinely be able to work inside that book's pages. It would be humorless, a powerful tale of martyrdom, and I laugh at the refusal to notice a joke far more than I do at a mediocre attempt to make one.

    ReplyDelete